Funeral payments from the DWP Social Fund

You could get a Funeral Payment from the DWP Social Fund if you are on a low income and require help to pay for a funeral that you are arranging. How much you receive depends upon your circumstances and if you qualify.

You will usually have to pay back any money you receive from the deceased person’s estate (if they have one). The estate includes any money or property they had but not a house or personal things left to a widow, widower or surviving civil partner.

What you’ll get

How much you receive depends upon your circumstances.
The Funeral Payment can help pay for:

  • Reasonable burial fees and exclusive rights to burial in a particular plot
  • Reasonable cremation fees including the cost of cremation forms
  • Transport costs for you to either arrange or attend the funeral
  • The cost towards moving the deceased within 50 miles

The following is not included:

  • Clergy and all other remaining costs
  • If the deceased had a pre-paid funeral plan the applicant may only receive help for items not covered by the plan.


To qualify for a Funeral Payment the applicant must be responsible for the funeral and:

  • Claim within 3 months of the funeral
  • Receive certain benefits or tax credits. How much you are awarded depends on any other money available e.g. from an insurance policy or the deceased’s estate.

You (or your partner) must receive one of:

  • Income support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • The disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • One of the extra elements of Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

You must meet the rules on your relationship with the deceased – you must be one of the following:

  • The partner of the deceased when they died
  • A close relative or close friend of the deceased
  • The parent of a stillborn baby after 24 weeks of pregnancy
  • The parent of the deceased child under 16 years

If a parent is absent, you must be responsible for the child and the absent parent must also receive a qualifying benefit i.e. both parents must qualify for help. If there is a close relative of the deceased who is not in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits you may not be able to claim Funeral Payment.

How to claim

You can claim a Funeral Payment using Form SF200 witch can be download from the section below or over the telephone. You must claim within 3 months of the funeral, even if you are awaiting a decision on a qualifying benefit. You can only make a claim before the funeral if you have an invoice. An estimate will not be accepted. Complete the form and either take it to your local Jobcentre Plus or post it to

Balham Benefit Centre

Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1HJ

Applications over the telephone:

Bereavement Advice Centre Freephone 0800 634 9494


Website Theme FaveTheme - Website Search Engine Optimisation, Website Design , Website Hosting and Website Updated by Universal Websites